debian install abandoned

stephen white spwhite at chariot.net.au
Tue Dec 10 15:03:44 CST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 01:19 PM, Luke Vanderfluit wrote:
> I will need to get a new set of disks (debian woody),

It's not going to get any better. Debian really sucks for getting a
workable system from install. Its only real advantage is that it tends
to install what you asked for, so you're free to modify configuration
files without stomping on some distro specific "feature". Even this
advantage is eaten away by the braindead packaging system that Debian
insists on using, which depends on a library of archived details rather
than examining the live filesystem.

I cannot recommend Debian. It sucks, plain and simple.

If you want Debian's features, I'd suggest you look at Gentoo or some
other distribution where the entire system is compiled from source. Or
if you want the system built for you, have a look at SuSE, Mandrake or
some other "friendly" distro where you don't get to make any changes
without incurring the wrath of the braindead rpm packaging systems they
use.

The bottom line is that Linux is not in a good state when it comes to
distributions. Everything sucks in one major way or another. I really
miss the system I built up by hand, but KDE and Gnome are ridiculously
hard to compile, and Miguel's slavish devotion to imitating Microsoft
have brought along the delights of Microsoftian cruft to the Linux
world.

That's why I got a Mac, and OS X rocks.

   spwhite at chariot.net.au