debian install abandoned

Luke Vanderfluit luke at chipcity.com.au
Tue Dec 10 14:24:25 CST 2002

Hi all,

Reading on this group and speaking to a few people, I've picked up the notion
that debian isn't the easiest to install.

I wanted to try an install using a local network booting from a floppy on a
586/100 with 32 Ram and 1.2 gig hdd.
I chose debian because I want to evaluate different linux distributions and I
have heard positive things about it.

First a rescue.bin image is needed, then an image applying to your machine, in
my case root.bin. That's 2 floppies.
Next 4 driver disks are needed. I had quite a problem finding their
whereabouts and there were no clues in the README or INSTALL files.
After loading them I was able to configure the network, which is where I
needed to be.
I got the network interface working and established an FTP connection to
another linux box on my network, to access the cdrom.
All went well until I went to select packages.
A tool called "dselect" is used, which takes a bit of getting used to.
When it comes to installing the packages there is a lot of action but no
prompting for the further 6 (of 7) debian disks. As soon as the install
program fails to find a package through 'ftp' it goes 'http' out on to the
net.
This becomes very time consuming, particularly because I have all the packages
I need on cds and a slow internet connection (56k).

All I wanted to do initially was to install ssh, so I could ssh in from my
other box, however the simple fact of installing a package became a total
upgrade of all software.

After the whole install process hung because 'libc6' couldn't be loaded, I
decided to try another machine with a bootable cdrom. Only the 7th cdrom
booted, then after inserting disk 1, I came across a corrupted file on the
cdrom.
I decided to abandon the debian install.

I will need to get a new set of disks (debian woody),

that's my experience
kind regards,

--
Luke Vanderfluit