Debian DPKG and APT Musings

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at tellurian.com.au
Tue Dec 10 14:12:04 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 11:09, David Lloyd wrote:

> It strikes me that managing Debian packages _without_ apt seems to be
> just as difficult as managing RPMs. The only real difference I see is
> that there is really only one official Debian distribution and hence one
> only has to search for one package as opposed to having to work out
> whether a mandrake rpm will work on redhat and so forth.

Slackware's the only distribution that ever *really* got it right :-)

I found the CD of my first distribution over the weekend. It was a copy
of Slackware 2.0, which had a 1.0.x stable kernel and for the hardcore,
a copy 1.1.x. No KDE in sight. Those were the days.... :-)

Matt (from a Debian workstation)