Debian DPKG and APT Musings

michael michael at home.lyppard.com.au
Tue Dec 10 12:58:19 CST 2002

Hi.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, David Lloyd wrote:

> It strikes me that managing Debian packages _without_ apt seems to be
> just as difficult as managing RPMs. The only real difference I see is
> that there is really only one official Debian distribution and hence one
> only has to search for one package as opposed to having to work out
> whether a mandrake rpm will work on redhat and so forth.

Having run both apt on debian, and apt-rpm on redhat, I think that the
approach taken by apt is valuable, over and above the quality of the
actual package tool. Urpmi on Mandrake is similar, but I always ran into
trouble with it, which prompted me to drop Mandrake in the end.

Having only one 'true' distribution of debian is a great advantage, as is
the lack of fast-paced distribution releases that plague both RedHat and
Mandrake. Not sure about anyone else, but it always seemed to me that just
when I had the distribution settled in, a new version was released. After
a few upgrade disasters, I tended to stay with the older distro as long as
I could stand it.

/me wishes that the rapid distro version releases were left where they
belong: over with MicroSoft where they provide much needed revenue boosts
to keep the monster alive.

Michael