distro to recommend for newbie

Alex Wallis awol at prepaidonline.com.au
Mon Dec 9 11:12:27 CST 2002

Dan Kortschak wrote:

> If I were there I'd definitely go for Debian, but unfortunately he is in
> Jakarta and I'm in Canberra, so what I'm trying to find is something that
> is likely to have relatively clear and available community support.
>
> I'm there for him, but as I'm sure you're all aware long distance support
> (one-on-one) can be difficult at the best of times.

IRC is a very useful tool for such one-on-one tutoring. I hang out on
efnet's #linuxhelp and frequently talk people through all sorts of
tasks.

Redhat has got some localisation for a wide number of languages, but I
don't know about Bahasa and Indonesian. Maybe...

Alex

--
`When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for