EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENOUGH! Re: OT: R all NERDS FROM *#$& this way? [was OT: R All Ausies This Way???]

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Sat Dec 7 07:25:58 CST 2002

Keith,

I am an American too, and have been on this board for about a year.
I know little or nothing about the technology that you had a question
about, so keep that in mind as I make these comments. I don't know how
this whole dialogue got out of hand like this, but it upsets me to see
it happen.   Don't take it that I am blaming anybody, because at this
point, it is pointless to do so. I just see the arguement itself as
something I would like to see resolved in a friendly manner. My hope is
that when you are finished reading this email, you will feel much
differently about this group, make amends and hopefully a positive
opinion of this community.

Not getting into the dialogue of what has been said, or who was right or
wrong, I will mention this....just as a matter of statistics alone, if
you pose a question to a large enough group, you are probably going to
hear an answer you won't like.  This incident is an unusual occurance.

I also want to give you another perspective by telling you my story, to
explain why I use this board quite often, and how I have grown very fond
of this group.

My joining this group was the best mistake I ever made.  When I first
joined, I had no idea what a Linux Users Group was.  From my
perspective, I was used to calling customer support for answers, but I
soon realized that Linux community works together as a group to come up
with solutions that benefit the group as a whole. It is in this way that
no one here really receives free support because help is exchanged in an
almost barter type fashion, but without a strict adherence to an
accounting or measure of the value of the help given; the members of the
group are fundamentally very friendly with each other and aren't petty
in that way AFAIK.

 From what I have seen, Linux User Groups mailing lists are very
efficient and effective way for people to help each other find answers
to important computing questions. The knowledge base is vast, and
multiple people reap the benefit of the answer given.  With that in
mind, if the question is not Linux related, and is asked by an
unfamiliar name, one might conclude, correctly or incorrectly, that if
they answer, the favor will not be returned, to the group.  One might
conclude, correctly or incorrectly, that this type of dialogue is no
longer an efficient contribution to a group effort, but rather a drain
on the collaborative resource.

With that in mind, kind responses were given none the less, and there is
something to be said for that.

When I joined Linuxsa, I had been using Linux for about 6 months,
struggling the entire time.  I had searched the Internet for hours,
trying to find out how I might log into my company's Netware 4 server
from Linux. During my search,  Linuxsa was one of three boards that had
the same question I had, but was apparently unanswered.  SILUG, the
Southern Illinois Linux User Group and SVLUG, the Silicon Valley Linux
User Group were the other two.

When I finally found the answer I was looking for, I felt morally
obligated to provide it to as many people as possible, given that I had
to work so very hard to find the answer. So, I joined all three groups
and posted my solution.

As time went on,  I realized that the topics discussed on this board
were most relevant to me and that I was most comfortable with the people
on this board than any other. I believe very strongly, that it is more
important to consider the group dynamic than Geographic location when
becoming a part of a collborative support  network like Linuxsa. Weather
Australian or American, we are all people first, with a common set of
questions and unique ideas that can benefit us all.

Linuxsa has been nothing but a real blessing.  I have learned far beyond
what I ever imagined,  learned an ethic that is helpful to others
because others were helpful to me, and from that ethic, I have had a
greater sense of fulfillment and purpose as a computer user.

I hope that your computing experience will be similar.

Sincerely,

James A. Leone, CPA
Palo Alto, CA