[OT] Virus, who has the virus?

George Patterson george at visp.com.au
Fri Dec 6 19:01:24 CST 2002

On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:18:55 +1030
Ian Loxton <ilox at airnet.com.au> wrote:

> This just turned up on my previous LinuxSA access account. Has to be a
>
> virus but was wondering if anybody could work out where it had come
> from. Must have been somebody from this list though perhaps not a
> current member.
>
> Cheers,  Ian

Ian, Why would the virus have had to originated from the linuxsa list??
I don't see any netcraft's mail servers (eg jessica.netcraft.com.au) in
those headers.

Basically, everything in an email can be spoofed except the fact that
you are reading a copy of what looks to be an email. Plenty of viruses
or worms have spoofed all header and cobbled together an email with a
bogus from header as well. Viruses have harvested email addresses from
outlook address books, web page caches and I believe ICQ contact
details.

It looks like it came from somewhere in prodigy.net or perhaps Level3.net.

Received  from Gvabpltr
(dialup-63.209.88.32.Dial1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [63.209.88.32]) by
pimout3-ext.prodigy.net (8.12.3 da nor stuldap/8.12.3) with SMTP id
gAUHeI6X469928 for <ilox at telstra.com>; Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:40:19 -0500

Regards

George Patterson