P.S. Unix / Windows Interoperability

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Fri Dec 6 12:45:08 CST 2002

> I'd love to know where you buy your software from.  We did a
> side-by-side comparison when we put in a new server for
> around 40 workstations.
> The cost of Windows 2000 Server + 40 CALs came in at close to
> $3000. That kinda tipped the scales in favor of a $200 retail
> copy of Redhat for OS software (we used my downloaded version
> for free, but thats beside the point...).

That's probably more accurate, in fact.  I pulled that figure out of my
backside because I was too lazy to go and look it up while I was
composing that email :-)

However, Windows 2000 + 25 CALs comes to about $2350.

> Seriously though, I'd be sitting down and having a think
> about whether all those added 'features' are actually needed.
>  I could be taking you the wrong way, but it sounds like the
> 2000 box would be going in for the sake of it, rather than to
> fulfil a need.  Doesn't add up to my mind.

Sometimes I think the same could be said about running Unix for the sake
of running it, but of course, not every circumstance is identical.

Adam