[OT: humour] Marketing Practices?

Romana Challans romana at timelady.com
Fri Dec 6 09:03:43 CST 2002

Subject: [cai-sa] Fw: [nat-div] Marketing Practices?
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:09:35 +1030
From: "RK Beare" <brunel at lm.net.au>
To: "CAISA" <cai-sa at cbnsw.org.au>

This made my day :)

Enjoy

Cheers,

Robert Beare

> In a landmark decision, the Australian Commercial Practices Court today
> ruled that Toyota is no longer allowed to run its advertising campaign
> based on the word "bugger".  Explained Court spokesman Loof Lipra, "Some
> time ago Microsoft took out an injunction against the use of the word
> 'bugger' in Toyota's ad.  It was argued that 'bugger' had been associated
> with Windows far longer and far more deeply than with Toyota's utes."
>
> Lipra went on to suggest that every Windows user in the world uses the

word

> at least once a day as a direct result of using Windows.  "No other

product

> has ever achieved that degree of market recognition and for Toyota to
> muscle in on it was clearly a breach of commercial etiquette and, ipso
> facto, copyright."
>
> Microsoft is now planning a media-wide campaign using their catch-word.  A
> copy that has been leaked to us shows several familiar faces Steven King

is

> shown saving the last page of his new
> 800 page blockbuster in Word and then re-opening it to find that it has
> been reduced to three smiley faces and half a dozen Japanese
> characters.  He smiles wanly to the camera and says "....."
>
> Kerry Packer is shown shaking his head knowingly and muttering "....."

when

> he discovers that the spreadsheet on which he based his latest $4 billion
> takeover has suffered from the notorious Excel 'four times seven equals
> thirty six' feature and that the Ayer's Rock Pie Company is somewhat
> overvalued.
>
> The head of the CIA (face pixilated) is shown shouting "....." on finding
> that Outlook has just emailed the entire contents if his hard drive to the
> head of the KGB.  She, in turn, says, "byugyah" when the file is found to
> be in last year's Access format.
>
> A spokesthing for Microsoft commented, "This is a logical move for the
> company that used "You make a grown man cry" as its advertising slogan for
> its software.  We anticipate establishing the slogan in the marketplace by
> including a T-shirt with "Bugger Microsoft" in every box of our software."
>
> Regards,
>
>                 ----------------.        .----------------
>                    ----------    \  __  /    ----------
>                       --------    \(..)/    --------
>                           -----    ;\/;    -----
>                              ---- :    : ----
>                                 --:    :--
>                                   //..\\
>                                  VV    VV
>                                  '//||\\`
>                                    ''``
>                                 Peregrine!
>

>    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground, and.... miss."
> --- Ford Prefect

??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Romana Challans
GPG Key fingerprint =
F09E F80E 5DCA 9476 7753  9423 2CC7 81E8 4F07 1AD2

State Coordinator
Computerbank Australia Incorporated, SA Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main."
(Meditation 17, John Donne)