P.S. Unix / Windows Interoperability

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Thu Dec 5 12:40:20 CST 2002

>  * Set up a test environment first, so that you can see how
> the pieces fit together (BTW, you'll need a hammer) and you
> shouldn't go too far wrong.

Like Homer Simpson building that barbecue?

>  * Keep your eye on the logs (log.nmbd and log.smbd in particular)
>
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

Yep, I intended on doing this especially for the testing period so I
know exactly what's going on.

>  * Compile the latest Samba from source, if you're confident.

I don't have a lack of confidence, I have a lack of practical experience
:-)  I'm ready to take this on with great guns!  I've got no problems
with Samba at all, I already use it at work, and I use it at home.  My
biggest concerns are just making sure that there are no problems with
authentication and ACLs.  At least that's all I've encountered as
possible problems so far ;)

>  * RTFManual

I've been reading furiously :)

>  * RTFMailing lists. Particularly the samba-ntdom list, if
> it's still in existence. The generic samba list is good too.

That too :-)

>  If you get stuck, feel free to send a detailed message
> outlining your problem to the list and I'm sure someone will
> offer suggestions. Some might even be helpful :-).

Well, that's what they're for ;)  I'll be back, too.  This email has
made me feel like I'm going over a checklist to make sure I've packed
anything before I backpack around Europe or something, but it's not
quite that far gone yet :)

> As I mentioned before, there's also companies that will set
> this stuff up for you (or give assistance) that are based in
> Adelaide, should you get *really* stuck.

Hehe, and that's often a gamble in itself :)

--
Adam Smith
Information Technology Officer

adam.smith at sageautomation.com