[OT] Alternatives to Telstra for phone lines (rant)

Richard Russell richard at yellowgoanna.com
Wed Dec 4 12:02:03 CST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:27:16AM +1030, Luke Schapel wrote:
> Richard Russell wrote:
> > Are there any?
> >
> > I would gladly use ANY alternative to Telstra for local telephone
> > lines? All I want is a frickin phone line so I can get ADSL on it. I
> > don't even want to make phone calls. Telstra has been a right pain in
> > the arse. My experiences have been as follows:
>
> <usual sorry saga snipped>

the conclusion of my sorry saga was a relatively happy one -- the
technician eventually came around, and spent quite some time finding
the cable box, which was hidden in an extraordinarily non-obvious
place, but then installed everything and wired me up for free
(normally they charge many $ for anything beyond wiring to the box
itself).

> Richard
>
> As one who has been there, I sympathise ( though my saga is with Mobilenet).
> However, have you talked to Internode? (or whoever you choose as your ADSL
> provider). For one, they will have a vested interest in getting you connected,
> and two, they have channels open to facilitate this. Might be worth considering.

I haven't spoken to Adam about this, no... too late now anyway. I have
a feeling that inserting another intermediary between me and telstra
woudl complicate things further anyway... even if they are intelligent
and well-connected. If the saga continued longer, I might have tried
that though... :)

rr

--
Richard Russell