2.4.20 Kernel and VFS

Andrew Hill list at fornax.net
Tue Dec 3 14:09:55 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 09:53, David Lloyd wrote:
> 1) Try giving it the real name (i.e. /dev/hda3)

Well, after fixing two other (obvious?) problems[1], that solved the
problem, in as far as it will now boot. Thanks!

The question is, what does the standard RedHat 8.0 kernel have that
makes this work, that mine doesn't?

> 2) Try sending the kernel "devfs=nomount"

No effect.

Cheers,

[1] I was using 'make install' to make the kernel and install it for me,
and it would seem that these days a check of the modules listed in
/etc/modules.conf is done. I was not compiling the SCSI driver module
for the machine (as it's not required at this stage and I like to do
things bit my bit to make sure I know what's going on), but this meant
that 'make install' was failing, and as a result, the initrd for the
kernel wasn't being made.

I also, realised that, strangely enough, compiling support for the
filesystem that you want to mount as / into the kernel is a good idea,
as opposed to putting it into a module, and having that module on the /
filesystem :-)

--
Andrew Hill

This may seem a bit weird, but that's okay, because it is weird.
-The Perl v5.0 manual page.