relaying

Richard Russell richard at yellowgoanna.com
Tue Dec 3 13:35:14 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:22:36PM +0000, Ronke Adetilo wrote:
> hello all,
>
> can someone please tell me how i can allow relaying
> for all domains using  Red Hat linux 8.0. This i need
> to do to enable my clients to pop their mails from any
> network using microsoft outlook.

I don't think you really want to allow relaying for all domains --
that will mean that anyone can use your server to send mail to anyone.
It will mean that you will be the spam centre of the known world
(excuse the hyperbole).

What I think you might want is to simply set up a POP3 server.
Personally, I would reccommend IMAP rather than POP, as it's generally
considered better. However, POP and IMAP access have nothing to do
with relaying.

You probably want to set up your mail server (the MTA -- being
sendmail, courier, postfix, qmail, or something similar) so it accepts
mail for your clients' domains (but no others), and make it deliver
the mail locally into the POP or IMAP accounts. Correct?

rr

--
Richard Russell
Yellow Goanna P/L