[OT] Alternatives to Telstra for phone lines (rant)

Nathan Millhouse nmlinuxsa at voidnet.com.au
Tue Dec 3 10:44:10 CST 2002

Richard / Paul,

Unfortunately for all of us even though you can get your phone line put in
by someone other
than Telstra, if you wish to have ADSL your phone line will still have to be
used with Telstra.

(Just in case you don't know) Telstra are the only people with CMUXs and
DSLAMs at the exchanges
which is what you have to get your phone line jumpered into to be able to
get ADSL line sync.
I have heard rumours about Optus starting to deploy these devices themselves
but as yet I have seen
or heard nothing to substantiate that beyond a rumour. Request are an
Australia wide company which
does ADSL provisioning, but they would have to use Telstra equipment also in
the case that they have none at the exchange.
http://www.request.com.au/ Request are not big in Adelaide yet though as
they don't even have a POP here so I don't think that any
Adelaide ISP would be using them to provision ADSL services.

Unfortunately as you can see there is pretty much no way in which Telstra
can be avoided if you require ADSL.
Even if you don't see the contact, your ISP will have to provision the
service through them. This is rather disappointing
as it doesn't allow for much if any competition. Telstra bill you for the
phone line per month, then they slug your ISP about $50
per month to have a 512/128k ADSL link connected to your line. That money of
course comes out of your monthly ISP fees.

Regards,
Nathan Millhouse