2.4.20 Kernel and VFS

Andrew Hill list at fornax.net
Tue Dec 3 10:40:29 CST 2002

Hi all,

Well, I'm stumped. I've just installed a new RedHet 8.0 machine, and I'm
trying to compiler a new 2.4.20 kernel for it, however, I can't get the
thing to boot up.

Here's the error I get at boot time:

  VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00

The /etc/fstab file has this:

  LABEL=/     /      ext3  defaults   1 1
  LABEL=/boot /boot  ext3  defaults   1 2

The filesystems have the appropriate labels:

  # e2label /dev/hda1
  /boot
  # e2label /dev/hda3
  /

Finally, the new kernel I've compiled and the standard RedHat kernel are
being called the same way from GRUB:

  title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20.img
  title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

So, what's going on? I've found reference to this error being caused by
having DEVFS compiled into the kernel, but I don't have that. Is there
some other fancy kernel option that I might be missing that is causing
the problem? Suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

--
Andrew Hill

This may seem a bit weird, but that's okay, because it is weird.
-The Perl v5.0 manual page.