Console MP3 players.

Daryl Tester Daryl.Tester at iocane.com.au
Mon Dec 2 21:31:52 CST 2002

*Malcolm McGrath - Ardec - MIS wrote:

> I had a look at mpg123, but it
> appears as if i would need to write a script that checked to see if it
> were running and restart it if it were not to use it in this fasion,

Warning - untried ...

#!/bin/sh

while :
do
    mpg123 "$@" || exit $?
done

Every time mpg123 exits successfully, it restarts.  If it exits with a
return code of other than zero, it exits the script with that return
code (presuming that mpg123 behaves like all good Unix programs and
returns a non-zero exit code if it strikes trouble).

Running mpg123 out of inittab will achieve a similar result.

> I would prefer not to do this if i can avoid it, as it seems to "hackish"
> and just increases the chance that documentation will be inaccurate or
> too difficult to follow for anyone who may come after me :).

Sorry, I don't understand this.  Documenting something "hackish" is
better than no documentation at all of the most elegant system.

--
Regards,
  Daryl Tester,  Software Wrangler and Bit Herder, IOCANE Pty. Ltd.

"Hey ho Mr. Krinkle, have you heard the brand new sound?
 It's a cross between Jimi Hendrix, Bocephus, Cher and James Brown.
 It's called Heavy Hometown New Wave, cold-filtered, low-calorie dry." - Primus