VNC lag

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Mon Dec 2 17:21:23 CST 2002

>Perhaps its because I'm not on an entirely switched network here, but
>I often feel as though VNC is a big laggy over the LAN. I'm using
>TightVNC with good quality JPEG compression.
>
>Is it just me and my network, or can VNC be a bit sluggish at times?

Could be both of us, but I've found it to be a little sluggish at times
also.

That I don't mind a whole lot, but it must load up the network card on the
remote PC, because any network related apps (for us that's pretty much
everything),
slow to the proverbial crawl when I'm connected via VNC.  Occasionally I
still
have to disconnect (VNC) and talk a user through a few steps before
reconnecting.

But hey, it still beats walking to their desk.... ;)