VNC lag

Kim Hawtin ryjkavik at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 2 16:35:04 CST 2002

 --- David Lloyd <dlloyd at microbits.com.au> wrote: >
> > Is it just me and my network, or can VNC be a bit sluggish at times?
> It can be both.
>
> TighVNC is reasonably fast, but citrix and/or windows terminal server
> are able to display more quickly...

I have had lag issues where;
- the color depth is different on the server and client,
  so you could reduce the colour depth
- if there is a hub between the two instead of a switch,
  you could try direct connection with a cross over cable
- windows file sharing chatting ,
  turn off file sharing on the two machines to reduce traffic
- routing issues,
  make sure that both hosts use the same gateway, and have
  the same info in the hosts file or DNS

Cheers,

Kim

=====
"I'd rather listen to Newton than to Mundie. He
 may have been dead for almost three hundred years,
 but despite that he stinks up the room less."
                                        -- Linus Torvalds