linux drivers for D-Link ADSL Modem (ethernet) DSL-300

michael michael at home.lyppard.com.au
Mon Dec 2 12:12:16 CST 2002

Hi.

I'm a bit mystified with this latest information :)

If the XP box is the gateway, and it authenticates to your ISP, why do you
need drivers on the linux box? Most people on this list probably do it the
other way around, but the XP box just has to share it's internet
connection to the LAN and you're away!

Usually, in this situation I'd expect to see a linux gateway box with 2
netcards in it - one is directly connected to the DSL-300, the other to
the LAN. PPPoE software on the linux box handles the authentication to the
ISP. A firewall script (or better, distribution) manages and controls the
traffic between the two networks, and shares the internet connection to
all hosts on the LAN.

I mentioned IpCop before, it's a small (~20mb) distribution that does this
exactly, out of the box and on minimal hardware (mine is a Pentium 150
with 32mb ram, no keyboard or monitor). See http://www.ipcop.org if you
are interested.

Regards,

Michael