redhat 8.0

Michael Davies michaeld at senet.com.au
Sun Dec 1 00:02:49 CST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 22:42, steve at centraldocuments.com wrote:
> Please note, Redhat 8 upgrade kills printing.  I have had this problem on two machines now. I posted last week
> that I had no difficulties upgrading from 7x to 8.  I have some now!

Not excusing what happenned - any changes should be seemless, but it
appears that LPRng is the default printing system in 8 and CUPS isn't
installed by default.  I think a lot of people used CUPS with 7.3 and
may get burnt on upgrade.  Also note that LPRng, despite being the
default, is destined to be deprecated, so if you have a working CUPS, it
may be in your interest to not go to LPRng, but remain with CUPS.
Should make things easier going to a later version...

Hope this helps,
--
Michael Davies                "Do what you think is interesting, do
michaeld at senet.com.au          something that you think is fun and