ppp annoyance and some general questions.

James Mclean jamesmc at tne.net.au
Wed Nov 8 16:57:39 CST 2000

Damien,
first and foremost, check call waiting status with *#43# if its on, turn it
off with #43#. If a call tries to come through, the connection is killed
immediately.
check if there are any other phone devices using the same line, if there is,
unplug them and try again, weather ther are in use or not. so only the modem
is connected.
if this fails, try using a modem init string, go to
http://www.modemhelp.org/inits/ to find an init string for your modem.
If all else fails, switch ISP. I work on the arcomnet help desk and we all
use linux ourselves, rather than some trained up support person in a
malaysian call centre, we might be able to help.

as for a text book, a goon one i have is "A practical guide to Linux", by
Mark Sobell. Foreward is by Linus himself! its a great book, not distro
specific. the dude who wrote it comes from a unix background, and has
written books on unix and linux. have a look in "the bookshelf" opposite
adeliade tafe in the city, they have a few copies of it in there.

Cheers,
james mclean
/   \          /  \         -- J a m e s  M c l e a n --