LAN

Jake Hawkes jake at eclectic.com.au
Mon Aug 30 12:51:35 CST 1999

sound to me as is if pppd is adding a default gateway route when it
dials, but before it dials there is "no way out" :)

type "route" at a prompt, before you dial out. there should be a line
(at the bottom)
destination  gateway         genmask   <stuff>   iface
default      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0.0.0.0   <stuff>   eth0

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your eth0

if this is not there, then you need to update the file
/etc/sysconfig/network and have a line
GATEWAY="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

hth,
Jake

Alex Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a minute problem someone may
> have come accross before.
>
> I have a Linux Box(acts as the server) networked to a Windows/Linux box.
>
> A simple network.
>
> However, whenever I want to connect to the Linux box from the Win box,
> I have to dial up first. Once dialed up all is ok and I the machines can
> talk.
>
> Note: I only have to dial up once....then I can disconnect and the
> machines
>            will still talk(ie I can log on and off...all is ok).
>
> Note again: If I haven't dialed up and I attempt to talk to the Win box,
> the machines
>                       do somewhat talk  but do not give me a login
> prompt etc,
>                       and then time out.
>
> Obviously when I shutdown I have to dial up again to get the machines
> talking.
>
> However this is an expensive exercise(especially when I only want to
> transfer  a few files
>  accross whilst doing assignments).
>
> It seems that connecting to the Internet results in addressing being
> resolved......but
> It is annoying(and expensive) dialing up just to talk to a machine 2
> metres away from me.
>
> Any suggestions, ideas, comments, pointers, would be extremely
> appreciated.
>
> Thanx
>
> Alex
>
> --