RedHat 6 networking troubles??

Tarek Heiland tarek at bakas.com.au
Thu Aug 19 21:26:11 CST 1999

Have experienced similar issues on a Celeron 400 box.

	In our case it appears to be poorly written drivers (Davicom 9102
based NIC), These are very new and I only have a beta from the manufacturer.

Seems a lot better running an "old" established NIC.

Have just upgraded Kernel from 2.2.5-15 to 2.2.11 and cannot tell if things
have improved (the Davicom driver crashes in minutes rather than hours now).
Only upgrade issue was resolving incoming telnet session problem (no ports
available message) which ended up being fixed by adding /dev/pts entry in
fstab. Am currently running Etherworks 3 NIC and fingers are crossed to see
how it works.

There were significant changes to PCI IRQ handling etc in changing to RH6.0
(I had to modify my Davicom RH5.2 driver by hand in order to get it to even
work), and I suspect there will be some issues with drivers (especially the
rarer or wierder ones).

Our Dial-in RH6 box does not give any problems and experiences significant
uptime.

My best approach would be to suggest the use of an alternative NIC and
driver and see if things improve. NIC's based on  Realtek chipsets (eg 8912
etc) (really common in Win environments) are often a bit flaky. (super cheap
manufacture being the root cause).

Regards
	Tarek