Programmimg...

David Newall davidn at rebel.net.au
Thu Aug 19 20:24:15 CST 1999

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Keith Jacob wrote:
> I completely disagree: that is the "old way". I agree that you can do all
> of the above, and succeed, but some people actually learn things at Uni.

When I'm recruiting I often receive applications from recent Uni graduates.
It's often been the case that these graduates have seemed very similar, and
when put to the test -- we always give a technical examination -- they often
are quite incapable of demonstrating understanding.  Even people with good
grades.

I think peeople who can program can do so, not because of what they learned
at university, but because they put in the effort.  If you go to university
with the expectation that you will magically become a programmer you are
going to be disappointed.

I don't say, not for one minute, that university will be a waste of time.
You can learn things there.  The question was what is the best way to learn;
and I still believe the best way to learn is by doing.

--
Check out the LinuxSA web pages at http://www.linuxsa.org.au/