boot up problems - debian ver 2

branko at senet.com.au branko at senet.com.au
Sun Aug 8 16:11:19 CST 1999

>The problem I have struck is that in the Debian 2 users manual it only
>refers to the kernel image as using the file name vmlinuz.  On the cd's
>there is no such file name.  Can anyone let me know what the kernel image is
>called on the distribution cd as I need to copy it to my dos partition to
>use the dual boot capability.  I am using loadlin.exe after booting to dos -
>is this the way it is supposed to be done?

Hi Conrad,

Several people have already responded with advice to the effect that
you should use lilo to provide the dual boot function.  This is the
"way it is supposed to be done".  However, loadlin.exe meets a legit
user need and your original question goes unanswered, so here goes:

The Debian CDs (I have checked versions 2.0 and 2.1) use the rescue disk
image for purposes of booting, these are located in the boot directory
of the CD.  You would not want to use these to boot an installed system!

The Debian file system contains a symbolic link in the root directory
pointing to the actual kernel image.  It is not too difficult to
follow, on my system it points to the file /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34 .
This is the file that loadlin should be told to use as the kernel
image.

>Hope this question does not sound too silly as I am only a newbie and I am
>yet to see what my new installation looks like as I cannot seem to get it to
>boot properly.
No such thing as a silly question.  Even if you have not got automatic
boot going, it should be possible to see what your installation looks
like by booting from a boot disk that may have been created during
installation (if you completed that step) or from a rescue floppy or
even from the CD itself by providing a boot command at the prompt.
Instructions for creating a rescue floppy are on the CD.  You will need
to boot your system by one of these means in order to copy the kernel
image to the DOS partition and/or to run lilo.

Good Luck and welcome to Linux,
--
Branko Bratkovic
branko at senet.com.au