LinuxSA Mailing list archives

Index: [thread] [date] [subject] [author] [stats]
  From: Damien Byrne <tsujigiri@myrealbox.com>
  To  : Illusion Weaver <indigo@mail.bg>
<linuxsa@linuxsa.org.au> Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:10:11 +1030

Re: tux = khttpd?

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:09 pm, Illusion Weaver wrote:
> Hi all!
> I want to run small and fast webserver for serving pictures. My frend
> recommended TUX. I 've runned it on a test box - it rocks! But I wonder
> if tux and khttpd are the same thing ( or tux is only a user interface to
> kernel web server)? And I wonder If I have to compile the kernel with
> khttpd if I want to use tux?
> Can someone clear this out.
> Какво е реклама в Интернет? - http://reklama.mail.bg
No, they are different things.  From what little searching I've done, it seems
that TUX is the one to go for.  Here is a small excerpt from the LWN kernel
newsletter (http://lwn.net/2002/0516/kernel.php3):

<snip>
The future of in-kernel web servers. Some recent discussion on troubles with
khttpd, the in-kernel web server which has been present since the early 2.3
days, led to the statement that khttpd would soon be removed from the 2.5
series. khttpd has a number of happy users, but it has been essentially
unmaintained for a number of years, and it has been superseded by Ingo
Molnar's TUX server. So the kernel developers see little reason to keep it
around.

The more interesting question, perhaps, is whether TUX will take the place of
khttpd. There appears to be little consensus on whether TUX should go in or
not. Some developers are worried about the impact of the TUX patch, while
others claim it affects little other code. It is not clear how much of a
performance benefit TUX really provides - some user-space web servers are
said to be getting quite close to TUX in speed. And, of course, a number of
people feel that an application like a web server has no place inside the
Linux kernel.

Servers like TUX and khttpd remain interesting as a demonstration of how to
create the shortest, fastest path between the network and files on a disk.
Chances are that TUX will find its way into a mainline kernel sooner or
later.
</snip>

Hope that is informative.

Damien Byrne
AKA - Tsujigiri

--
If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If not voting
could change the system, it would be illegal.